Sunday, January 17, 2010

52 Weeks to Better Genealogy - Challenge 3

52 Weeks to Better Genealogy - Challenge 3

A goal I set, both for myself and for the materials/information/photos I have for my self, my parents materials, and even my grandparents stuff, was to organize by decades, as a starting point, to make very large projects more manageable.

With this Challenge, I am going to modify handling my own materials by shifting to to seven period groups, rather than decades. What do you think about this?

1. Childhood: 1939-1952 (through country school)
2. Teens to Marriage: 1952-1959 (eighth grade, high school, F-S college)
3. Kids and Career Start: 1960-1969 (three daughters, work, no time)
4. Urbandale: 1970-1983 (Governor's staff, kids in teens, own business)
5. Tucson: 1983-1994 (work, family, PhD)
6. Emporia: 1994-2009 (assistant, associate, professor and chair; grandkids)
7. Retirement: 2009-forward (Nancy and I; Austin, Utah, and MO)

It does look a bit like decades, but with better definition. It may not seem like much, but I think I can make it work. I'll bet we'll revisit this later in the 52 weeks, what do you think?

Families are Forever!  ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a plan to me; I may adopt your approach for a timeline, and then just link the memories I have written up to each period. Thanks for the idea - that simplifies things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks,... and I appreciate the reminder to use links. I have so much material on line over the years, already, this would be a good way to tie it together. Thanks for stopping by. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your categories and may do something similar with my own records. Thanks for sharing your plan with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes lots of sense. It's much more useful than decades because it relates directly to telling stories about your life.

    ReplyDelete