Thursday, December 22, 2011

Those Places Thursday - Pammel Court at ISU


Those Places Thursday
Pammel Court at ISU


Nancy and Annette in front of our Pammel Court home (May 1961).

Last week, I shared our first home as a married couple in the 1959-1960 year, where Nancy was teaching in State Center, Iowa (where we lived), and I was in my junior year at Iowa State University (ISU), in Ames, a few miles to the west.

At the end of the school year in State Center, we moved to 103 Pammel Court, in Ames, just north of campus, along and just east of the main road, just north of the railroad tracks running east and west - yes, it was loud, sometimes.

We were living there, of course, when Annette was born at the Mary Greeley hospital, in Ames, in August 1960. Fall classes had started, and I was carrying and reading my Genetics textbook. Fathers didn't participate in deliveries, back then. We sat in the waiting room; so, I was making good use of my time. That is what I remember. Nancy probably has a different set of memories…  ;-) It was a comfortable small home, build for the G.I.'s coming back from World War II in the late 1940s - but still serviceable nearing 20 years later.

We lived in Pammel Court (1960-1961) until I graduated in the Spring; then moved to California. More on that to follow, of course.


Families are Forever!  ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Now you've gotten to a time period I can relate to! Great choice!

    The last time we were in Ames our house had been converted to a mechanic's shed. Most of the rest of Pammel court was torn down long ago.

    I see a stack. Was there a wood burning stove?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, 20th century 'ancestor' history is my current focus. Each home, with a Sunday 'Sharing Memories' to go along with each one, for a while.

    Not wood burnig stove. A vent, I think.

    Thanks for comment! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found this while looking up information on Pammel Court. By any chance, do you remember Bill and Janice Snyder? He was in the vocational ag program at ISU. I'm their oldest daughter and was born in 1961 while they lived in Pammel Court.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the note. Didn't know them, but we all shared a fascinating place and time. Best wishes!! ;-)

      Delete