Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Wisdom Wednesday 1

 
Wisdom Wednesday 1

I would like to support the new Daily Blogging Theme of Wisdom Wednesday, as an occasional alternate to Wordless Wednesday. Thanks to Thomas at GeneaBlogers for sharing this new theme from Jennifer Geraghty-Gorman of the On a flesh and bone foundation: An Irish History.

I'll start off with a pretty simple story, but no less significant, for me. My Dad never offered a whole bunch of "advise" - so when he did, I tended to listen.

Out on the farm, home from college one weekend, late Freshman year, as I recall, I must have been complaining about a Chemistry class. I loved math and physics; I was a good student, and liked most classes. Chemistry and I, however, never got along very well, even in High School. His advise, "You have to be there anyway, right? It is required? If you have to be there anyway, you might as well do your very best at whatever it is!" Simple, and to the point. Thanks, Dad!  ;-)

Over the ensuing 50 or so years, I suppose I've shared that advise with a hundred others, or more, mostly students of mine, of various stripes, when they were discouraged. It always seemed to have a very positive ring, in any environment.

Families are Forever!  ;-)

6 comments:

  1. Hi Bill, Thanks for the nod. I'm glad you like the idea of Wisdom Wednesday. What your dad said is so true, and such a positive way of looking at a situation, no matter what it may be. Cheers! Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jennifer, for stopping by and leaving a comment. I like this meme... will be interesting to see how it goes! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice. Something I will remember when my teenage and young adult children complain about similar things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What good advice. I usually think in terms of doing one's best, but hadn't thought of the addition of having to be there anyway. Excellent. Thanks for sharing your dad's advice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good advice. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing. I love it the way we pass on the knowledge given from our parents and grandparents.

    ReplyDelete