Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Wordless (nearly) Wednesday - Angel Food Cake undated

Wordless (nearly) Wednesday - Angel Food Cake undated

I've mentioned before that I always got an angel food cake with white frosting for my birthday. Here is an undated (late 1940s or early 1950s?) photo of Mom with one of them. White picket gate to the garden, behind, past the Wash House, brings back many memories, as well. The house was on the left - before the family room was added!


Families are Forever!  ;-)

6 comments:

  1. Bill, my absolute favorite cake. I usually buy it from a bakery, but once I did make it from scratch(takes forever). You were lucky to get one every birthday. Do you still get them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 20 or so years from Mom, 50 or so from wife. One lucky guy, Yes! ;-)

    Also see closing comments at: http://tinyurl.com/2bp3u7z

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love angel food cake and fresh strawberries. I don't think I have ever eaten a "from scratch" cake- you are lucky!~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dress!! When we lived in Kalona, IA, we got used to white and chocolate angel food cakes made by the Amish - much easier than trying to bake one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing how many good memories stem from cakes! I still think with relish of the wonderful lemon drizzle cake my grandmother made often - a simple pound cake with lemon drizzle icing - or the Yum Yum Vake (by far the best fruit cake recipe ever) that my Mom made very year - or the incredible wedding rum cake my mother in law made for our wedding reception in Italy - the rum literally dripped from every forkful!
    Bonnie(Valentinoswife)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr. Bill -
    I love this photo. I remember eating angel food cake as a little girl in the early 70's, my mother would smother it in strawberries and whipped cream. Yum. The photo reminds me of an old photo of my mother that I love.

    - Jennifer Swan

    ReplyDelete