Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday - Irene Smith

Today I want to provide a simple memorial to my Aunt, Dad's sister, Irene Smith (1909-1997). She spend her entire life in the Coon Rapids, Iowa, area, on the farm and in the town in her adult life. She never married and had no children of her own, but touched the life of nearly every member of her extended family... most often in ways we never knew. She was especially influential, I believe, in the lives of the four children of her youngest sister... but all of us in the next generation benefited from her concern for us.

She has a simple tombstone in the Coon Rapids, Iowa, Cemetery plot of her parents and several siblings. This is certainly as she would have wanted it.

 

Families are Forever!  ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Interesting, I was just thinking about Irene yesterday. I wonder how much you know about her response to her mother's death. From what I know, she took over role of mother in the family and carried it on to some extent her entire life. I know she was a cross of mother/grandmother/aunt to me and my family (one of the four children of her youngest sister). She did like to care for others, even during her last years in the nursing home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was a very nurturing woman throughout her life. Lovely memorial.

    ReplyDelete