Saturday, February 20, 2016

From Mom’s Diary… 1942 - August 16 Sunday


From Mom’s Diary… 1942 - August 16 Sunday
 On July 1, 1942, I celebrated my 3rd birthday. Mom and Dad had bought a farm a mile east of the county line between Carroll and Greene County, north east of Coon Rapids, Iowa, a couple of miles north of where they had been living.

A photo of Grandma Kinnick in her back yard with Karen, Kathleen and myself.. that I’ve always wondered about. Now, I’ve come across the daily diary entry that goes with it. Neat.

Sunday, August 16:

Swell day. Painted living room floor another coat.  Canned 1 qt. 1 pt. tomato juice. In to Mom’s to chicken dinner. Leo & Ida there too. Played croquet in P.M. Gertrude, Everett & kids stopped awhile. Home & chores. Fixed pickles. Popped corn. Went in town. had ice cr. and came home.

My comments:

There was always work to do on the farm.

Perhaps Grandma was playing with the little kids while the adults played croquet?!?! ;-)


Families are Forever! ;-)

2 comments: