Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Eileen KINNICK - 75 yrs ago - Week 15 - April 10-16, 1937


Eileen KINNICK
75 yrs ago
Week 15 - April 10-16, 1937


My mother, Eileen KINNICK (maiden name), kept a diary from 1932 until her death in 1999. In Feb 2005, I created a website of her 1936 diary, the year she graduated from high school. During the latter half of 2011, commented weekly on these entries.
For 1937, I am transcribing the daily entries, currently, at The KINNICK Project surname blog.

In this weekly blog post, I will make summary comments and observations, and perhaps add a photo, from time to time. Starting here with Week 10, I am switching to the week ending on Friday.
Setting: The family lived in a farmhouse a couple of miles out of town (Coon Rapids, Iowa). Older brother, Leo, lived at home; his girl friend, later wife, Ida, visited regularly. Younger brother, Buzzy (she often wrote Bussy) was 9 years old. Pete Smith is her 'boy friend' - fourth month starting Jan 1 (they do marry, in Mar 1938).

Week 15 (Apr 10-16): Today I have another article from the recent (29 Mar 2012) Coon Rapids Enterprise in the 75 Years Ago column that relates to Eileen's diary entries and where she now works.

19 March 1937: "Mayor Verne Whitnell announced yesterday that he had bought a lot from the Garst estate facing on Fifth Avenue just south of the Bliss barber shop and the McCorkle Construction company had the contract to erect a one story brick and tile building, 22 x 75, on this site. Mr. Whitnell says work had already begun on the new building and he hoped to be able to occupy it about May 1. He is, however, vacating his present location where he has conducted his hardware store the past 18 years and next week will be located in the Speiker building formerly occupied by the Maytag store. Today and tomorrow, Mr. Whitnell says, will be bargain days at his store as he much prefers selling stock to moving it."

And, just as I was preparing his, the following appeared in the April 12 edition, regarding the south side of that same block. 5th Avenue runs along the right side of building, if I am correct.
  {click image for a larger image}


Comments welcomed! 

Families are Forever!  ;-)

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful resource, a diary, and for so many years. The article showing up like that too is really great for you. I clicked to make it bigger and then did ctrl + to get it a tiny bit bigger, but I could read it pretty much at that point. You have given me an idea to look at the newspapers to see if in the past there were any articles about my great grandparents store. I have a beautiful photo of it and it is very possible that someone got it from a newspaper office because it is a black and white glossy 8x10. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kathy. I love the old newspaper stories. I suppose you can tell! ;-)

    ReplyDelete