Thursday, December 10, 2009

Treasure Chest Thursday - Bill's Family

Photos are generally my favorite treasures, with only a few exceptions. Therefore, today, I'm sharing two photos of my family's early life that are especially interesting to me. Hope you find them of interest, as well.

One of the earliest photos of my "family" - that is, Pete, Eileen and Billie - I'm the oldest; since it is so important to me, I sometimes forget to mention it. Photo taken in the summer of 1939. Mom and Dad were good old dirt farmers, renting their ground, and working very, very hard, their first couple of years. Dad used to say his greatest accomplishment was being worth more, every year (at the annual meeting with the bank), for his first 40 some years of farming...


This photo says a lot, to me, of course; the clothes, the setting, etc. Mom was raised as a town girl, "daughter of a banker," she liked to say. Actually, grandpa was a bank clerk. Great guy, served the community in many ways, but he certainly did not own the bank - my definition of a "banker." Mom was a great farmer's wife, but it didn't really come naturally to her.

Below, the photo is about 8 or 9 years later, perhaps April 1948. Dad owned his farm, and was becoming very active in the community in his own right. Hard work did pay off.



Along with Billie there was Jimmie, and most recent Tommie. Mom dropped the "ie"s in a few years, but that is who we were when these photos were taken.

These are some of my true treasures - the memories as much as the photos.

Family's are Forever! ;-)

4 comments:

  1. You're right. Families are forever. Thanks for sharing yours with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is kind of interesting how these themes tend to bring things out of us that we very likely would not have written about/shared photos with - without the prompt. Good for each of us! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great family photos. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that photos are some of my favorite treasures - thanks for sharing yours with us.

    My parents both grew up on farms (in Maine). I think I have a picture or two that could be twins of yours!

    Great posting!! Families are Forever!!

    ReplyDelete