Saturday, November 28, 2009

Surname Saturday - SMITH

Our SMITH family in the USA began with Michael (Schmitt) (Schmidt) SMITH, born in 1829 in Nambsheim, County Haut Rhin, District Colmer, France per original research done by my Aunt LVene (Smith) Thomas, including a copy of his birth certificate. She believed that he and his family came to the USA shortly thereafter, though no definitive information has yet become available.

Michael served in the Civil War as Farrier with Company E, 2nd Regiment, Iowa Cavalry from 5 Sep 1961 to 3 Oct 1864.


Michael first married Magdaline (Lena) HARBRECHT, who was born in Germany. They had three children: Julia, Mary and Michael. Lena died in Sep 1864.

Michael second married Nellie Margaret SODERSTROM at Hampton, Rock Island County, Ilinois. Their first son was William Emanuel SMITH, born in 1869. Their subsequent children were: Lena, Joseph, Lizzie, Benjamin, Peter, Elsie, Robert and Grant.

William Emanuel SMITH was my grandfather.

I am currently updating the family history written by my Aunt LVene and hope to publish it in 2010.

Families are Forever! ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Your Smith surname caught my attention as I too have Smith ancestors. I haven't gotten very far, well with Smith as a surname it is more challenging.

    I checked out a couple of your other blogs and I hope the Flint Hills blog will stay up for awhile so I can read it more thoroughly. I am from Manhattan, KS and the rolling, tall grass Flint Hills are beautiful.

    Bev Bird

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment.

    The Flint Hills blog will remain available. Be sure to check the others listed on the right hand side. It certainly is a distinctive landscape, like no other.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete