Monday, January 17, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Cars

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Cars

I don't attempt to do this exercise every week, but try to pick out the ones that strike my fancy - this one I can also use as a springboard for Sharing Memories posts, as well. Thanks to GeneaBloggers and Amy Coffin of the We Tree blog for these prompts.

Week 3: Cars. What was your first car? Describe the make, model and color, but also any memories you have of the vehicle. You can also expand on this topic and describe the car(s) your parents drove and any childhood memories attached to it.

Needless to say, I was pretty proud of my 1949 Chevy Fleetline with fender skirts and visor. It was seven years old when I got it. I was a junior in High School. We lived seven miles in the country, so it sure beat riding the school bus!  ;-)

As far as memories, I'll just say here that this was my car through high school, including dating may future wife (we've now been married 51+ years!) - so there are plenty of memories.

We were a Chevy family. Here are my Mom, me and my two younger brothers (other two came later on...) in front of our farm house in Iowa with our new 1950 Chevrolet...Mom and Dad's first new car. What a big deal! Dad took the photo, of course!  ;-)


Families are Forever!  ;-)

6 comments:

  1. I love this. It's clear you have some great memories attached to cars. Glad you enjoyed this week's prompt. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed your post on Car Memories. You expressed the link that many of us have to the automobiles in our lives. My 2011 resolution is to comment more on the wonderful genealogy blogs that I read constantly. You motivated me to live up to that resolution. Thanks for the great post.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Nancy - Thank you so much for your comment. Keep it up! It is very encouraging. Cars have been at the heart of our lives, throughout my lifetime, for sure. Cars and houses tend to identify us, in many ways! ;-)

    ReplyDelete