Friday, October 2, 2020

Smith Siblings - Dad’s - at the Homeplace

 

Smith Siblings - Dad’s - at the Homeplace


Yesterday I wrote about the Homeplace - my Dad’s childhood farm and family in the 1920s. Let’s bring them forward to Sept, 1955, for a family gathering, Thanksgiving, I think, at the Homeplace, now occupied by oldest brother, Toots, and his wife Mary.

From the left, Irene, Toots, Betty, Pete, Max, and LVene

 

Here it gets a little more complicated…
Back Row, from left: Toots, Orrin Hilgenberg (Max), Warren Pierce (Betty), Verle Thomas (LVene), Pete.
Middle Row, from left: 2 cousins??, LVene, Eileen (Mom)
Front Row, from left: Max, Mary, Irene, Betty


Missing a few kids, but here we were:
Back Row, from left: David Thomas, Bill Smith, Becky Pierce, Gary Hilgenberg holding her.
Middle Row, from left, John Thomas, Tom (T.K.) Smith
Seated, from left: Dan Smith, Margaret Smith, Jim Smith

This fits in with the stories of my ‘childhood,’ too, of course. Here I would have recently had my 16th birthday, early in Junior Year of High School. Gary was a year older, therefore a Senior. David (Dave) was two years younger, therefore a Freshman. We are missing Gary’s sister, Judy (later Judi), a Sophomore. Also, my brother Barry would have been 2, is not in the picture. We all went to Coon Rapids to school at this time.

As I recall, this group got together on holidays for a few years, then didn’t. Still, all family, all the time.


Families are Forever! ;-)




2 comments:

  1. I think it's very interesting to see all the belted dresses. They really reflect the time period. Light and comfortable for summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The changes in apparel though the years is fascinating. I've had 2 or 3 books on that only... identifying period by costume... wonder where they are? those books?? ;-)

      Delete