Wednesday, January 20, 2010

More Words for Wednesday - Homeplace - definition?

This post is really inspired by the comments on my previous post - Wordless (nearly) Wednesday - our old farm homes, earlier today. Check them out.

Of the four parents that lived in those two houses, only one lived more than a week away from an eight mile radius until very late in life. In contrast, as suggested by the comments, when my wife, Nancy, and I celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary last summer, one of the prominent displays our daughters prepared, with our help, was a map, and photos, of the 15 homes in 12 states where we lived during those 50 years... I have them in my hands, at the moment...

 What a striking difference, in one generation. Actually, the prior generation, our grandparents, spent their entire adult lives in basically the same community, as well. How different their perspectives on life from ours!

Still, there is something very strong about a "Homeplace." My dad always used that term to refer to the family farm on which he was born and raised (in the same neighborhood, of course!) Currently, I'm putting the final edits to rest on a fiction book titled "Back to the Homeplace" - it is not autobiographical by any means, but the title comes from my dad's reference. As I reflect on what caused me to start writing this story, 22 years ago (life got in the way of finishing it...), many elements of our own story can certainly be seen in the manuscript, if you know what to look for.

By the way, the discussion - I hope this continues it - in the comments on the "our old farm homes" post is a great example of how discussions can be carried out by interested persons on blogs. Someone asked me, a couple of weeks ago, why their blog posts did not generate more discussions... my reply was two fold, 1) you have to write something of interest, even compelling, and 2) you have to make comments on other folks' posts. It does work. Thanks for your participation!!

Families are Forever!  ;-)

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Dr. Bill...here I am! Checking you out. I'm currently living on family property from the 1920's or 30's. I'll have to post a story about this property with its interesting history soon. Until then, I'll watch your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother passed away two years ago, at the age of 88 1/2. She lived her entire life in Klamath county, Oregon within a 25 mile radius. She lived the last 50+ years in the house my father built in 1951. In 1999, I wrote a small book about all of the houses that she had lived in during her life --- and all the stories that went with those memories. Thanks for reminding me how important it was to preserve those precious memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay Dr. Bill. I'm going to try this one more time, so everyone can see it.
    Because you have been so kind and have been so encouraging to me on my blog, I am presenting you with the "A Blogger's Best Friend Award".
    You can pick up the award at http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-Y6k3-BSUkM/SevRxuxJfEI/AAAAAAAADNw/kUofLhqhPt4/s1600-h/award_bloggersbestfriend.jpg But, I since I see it on your blog, you have already done that!
    Thank you so much for your support and for sharing your family stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Lori! I was concerned when I saw your comment deleted, above. I appreciate you re-posting, and I really appreciate the award! I don't know what I did, but it came naturally, so I guess that is the most important thing. Keep up the good work... I'll try to too!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete