Tuesday, August 26, 2014

52 Ancestors: #35 Braxton and Araminta (Kirk) Duncan




52 Ancestors: 
#35 Braxton and Araminta (Kirk) Duncan



This year, Amy Johnson Crow has issues a new 52 weeks blogging challenge:


52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks


on her No Story Too Small blog.


The challenge: have one blog post each week devoted to a specific ancestor. It could be a story, a biography, a photograph, an outline of a research problem — anything that focuses on one ancestor. Not only should this get me blogging more, but also to take a deeper look at some of the people in my family tree.

My approach: I have made this a Tuesday Theme, and, use it to enhance my WikiTree ancestor profiles. That is, focus on a different ancestor on my WikiTree list of profiles, each week (include possibly adding new profiles), Great idea! Thanks to Randy Seaver's post for bringing this to my attention!
Note: Third shift (not change) to approach. Beginning with #25, I will be doing direct ancestor couples.


Ann Elilza Duncan, daughter of #35 Braxton and Araminta (Kirk) Duncan


#35 Braxton and Araminta (Kirk) Duncan

These are a set of my 3rd great-grandparents, #54 and #55 on my Ahnentafel Report, for my genealogy friends.

Their third child, 2nd daughter, was my 2nd great-grandmother, Ann Eliza Duncan, see #28, in this series.

Braxton Duncan (b. 1798, VA; d. 1859, Duncan Prairie, Mercer Co, IL)
married in act 1822 in Charleston, Virginia
Araminta Kirk (b. 1813, Scotland; d. 1855, Duncan Prairie, Mercer co, IL)

They were believed to have had ten children (2 adopted), I have recorded nine here. The first was born in Virginia, and the rest in Duncan Township, Mercer County, Illiniois, according to my records, at this time:

1. Manitia Duncan, b. abt 1840 - married to Harrison Herson in 1857 in Mercer Co, IL
2. Oscar Duncan, b. abt 1841
3. Ann Eliza Duncan, (1842-1879) - my 2nd great-grandmother
4. Granville Braxton Stafford Duncan, b. abt 1844 - married Rose, maiden name unknown
5. Josephine E. Duncan, b. abt 1846 - married a Mr. Gunsaulis
6.Thomas Kirk Duncan, b. abt 1849 - married Eliza C., maiden name unknown
7. Sarah Virginia (Jennie) Duncan, b. abt 1849
8. Towran Kelly (adopted)
9. James Kelly (adopted)

Both parents (Braxton and Araminta) died relatively young and the children were generally raised by his older brother Buford. I have some of that information, but much needs to be added. I have records that are not yet recorded, some more research would be beneficial.


This is another family I really should do some more in-depth research on… note to self!! ;-)


What fun! ;-)

Families are Forever! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment