Tuesday, August 12, 2014

52 Ancestors: #33 George and Mary Elizabeth (Lee) Simmons




52 Ancestors: 
#33 George and Mary Elizabeth (Lee) Simmons
 
 
This year, Amy Johnson Crow has issues a new 52 weeks blogging challenge:


52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks
 
on her No Story Too Small blog.


The challenge: have one blog post each week devoted to a specific ancestor. It could be a story, a biography, a photograph, an outline of a research problem — anything that focuses on one ancestor. Not only should this get me blogging more, but also to take a deeper look at some of the people in my family tree.

My approach: I have made this a Tuesday Theme, and, use it to enhance my WikiTree ancestor profiles. That is, focus on a different ancestor on my WikiTree list of profiles, each week (include possibly adding new profiles), Great idea! Thanks to Randy Seaver's post for bringing this to my attention!
Note: Third shift (not change) to approach. Beginning with #25, I will be doing direct ancestor couples.

Mary Estella Simmons Kinnick
{She was the nurse in the Civil War, in Corinth, MS}
 
Parents of Mary Estella Simmons Kinnick, Mrs. Walter Watson Kinnick:

#33 George and Mary Elizabeth (Lee) Simmons

These are a set of my 3rd great-grandparents, #50 and #51 on my Ahnentafel Report, for my genealogy friends.

Their oldest child, a daughter, was my 2nd great-grandmother, Mary Estella, wife of Walter Watson Kinnick, see #27, in this series.



George Simmons married Mary Elizabeth Lee.

They had the following 5 children, perhaps others:

1) Mary Estella Simmons (1843-1909) - my 2nd great-grandmother
2) James H. Simmons (1845-1902)
3) Charles E. Simmons (1849-1920)
4) Rachel Ann Simmons (1849-1938) - married Alfred O. Van Aken (my great-grandfather, Alonzo Palmer Kinnick migrated to Iowa with them, from Illinois, and did not return)
5) Carrie Simmons (1854-???)

This family, in my research history, is a great example of how important it is to research "aunts and uncles" - a mystery of how my great-grandfather got from Illinois to Iowa (when the rest of his family stayed there) was solved partly by discovering that his mother's sister, was the husband of this "uncle" he went to Iowa with… live and learn… keep digging, to find the really good stories.

The story of Alonzo moving to Iowa with is uncle, A.O. Van Aken, is included in my recent historical fiction story: Weston Wagons West - Ep. J20 - The Fourth Decade of the Kinnick family in Bureau County, Illinois.


This is one family I really should do some more in-depth research on… note to self!! ;-)


What fun! ;-)

Families are Forever! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment