Sunday, March 17, 2013

Barbara Cowles Memorial Service/Obituary



Barbara Cowles Memorial Service/Obituary
 
 
Barbara was my 2nd cousin by way of my maternal grandmother Dorothy (Sorensen) Kinnick and her brother, Morris (Marius), grandfather of Barbara (Groth) Cowles (Nov 1931-Jan 2013). Our common ancestors were Lauritz and Jensene (Nielsen) Sorensen (Denmark > Iowa).

A memorial service was held for her on February 23, 2013, in Des Moines, Iowa, which I was unable to attend. Her sister, Carole, was kind enough to send me a copy of the program which contained a fuller obituary than that available from public, online sources. Thank you again, Carole. I've included as scan of that obit below.

I want to share one line from the obit:
"Barbara held intense fascination for genealogy and the pursuit of ancestral history with led to many wonderful photo albums, and volumes of historical data and interesting stories."

My wife and I received a Christmas Card and letter from Barbara every year for many, many years with each update in her family, and we exchanged the same with her. Our Christmas letter this year was among the first her sister, Carole, found among her things in January, and contacted us directly. We were so grateful.

Here is one of my favorite old photos, from then 1940s, with my Mom and Dad, in Des Moines, visiting with Carole and Barbara at the home of their parents, Pearl and Alton Groth, in Beaverdale.
 
 



A graduation photo of Barbara:


The obituary from the Memorial Service:

[Click for enlarged image]


Families are Forever!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment