Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Eileen KINNICK - 75 yrs ago - Week 32 - July 31-Aug 6, 1937


Eileen KINNICK
75 yrs ago
Week 32 - July 31-Aug 6, 1937


My mother, Eileen KINNICK (maiden name), kept a diary from 1932 until her death in 1999. In Feb 2005, I created a website of her 1936 diary, the year she graduated from high school. During the latter half of 2011, commented weekly on these entries.
For 1937, I am transcribing the daily entries, currently, at The KINNICK Project surname blog.

In this weekly blog post, I will make summary comments and observations, and perhaps add a photo, from time to time. Starting here with Week 10, I am switching to the week ending on Friday.
Setting: The family lived in a farmhouse a couple of miles out of town (Coon Rapids, Iowa). Older brother, Leo, lived at home; his girl friend, later wife, Ida, visited regularly. Younger brother, Buzzy (she often wrote Bussy) was 9 years old. Pete Smith is her 'boy friend' - fourth month starting Jan 1 (they do marry, in Mar 1938).

Week 31 (July 31-Aug 6): Last week, Eileen began her new job at the new Municipal Light Plant in Coon Rapids, Iowa. She and Verna were making out bills for the customers, as you will recall. This week, they are taking in collections.

50 years later, in the Coon Rapids Enterprise I have in my hands, from October 1, 1987, is the following lead article, right column:

******************

Coon Rapids Municipal Utilities
"50 Years of Progress"


The Coon Rapids Municipal Utilities will celebrate 50 years of progress this Sunday with an Open House at the Municipal Building.

A special commemorative edition outlining the history of Coon Rapids Municipal Utilities is inserted in this week's Entertprise.

All area residents should make plans to attend the Open House. There will be many door prizes, refreshments, and video presentations.

*******************

Now, I DO NOT have in my hand the "commemorative edition" referenced, above, BUT:
In the Coon Rapids Enterprise, received here, today, as I write this, in the big article below the fold on the front page, it is announced that ALL of the 6600 issues of the Enterprise are now available to view, online, via the Coon Rapids Library website. Do you suppose that 'commemorative edition" is there?

Yes, indeed it is. Here is the URL to search: http://coonrapids.advantage-preservation.com/

Thanks to all those folks on the Library Board and individual contributors who helped make this possible. One caveat from me: I cannot 'look at' the pages on the site, but, I can download a pdf of each page I find in the search. That is great. Thanks, again, to all concerned. Eileen would have loved this!!  ;-)

I look forward to your comments!

Families are Forever!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment