Monday, May 28, 2012

1940 US Census indexing project approaches 50% completion


1940 US Census indexing project approaches 50% completion


Thirteen states are now completed and searchable thanks to many volunteer indexers across the country (and the world) working under the 1940 US Census Community Project. I have done indexing, have you? As a family history and genealogy researcher, having the 1940 US Census images indexed and fully searchable is a wonderful and gratifying task. Not yet two months into the project and the FamilySearch tracker shows the work is approaching 50% completion (45.81% as I draft this article).

 Several other states are nearing completion. However, as with any project of this magnitude, on a volunteer basis, continued volunteer effort must be sustained. Whether you have done some indexing or have not 'gotten to it' yet, now is a good time to 'get on board' and do some indexing! Thank you in advance for your efforts.

132 million people were living in the 48 Continental United States in 1940. Tens of millions of people living in the United States in 1940 are still living today, making this a record set that connects people with recent family records. I don't mind saying that I am one of this group. I was a thrill to see my name listed as an infant, the first child of my parents. I was born in the middle of 1939. Reading the images of neighbors in the community that I grew up with was a real thrill.

A huge 'thank you' to everyone who has been doing indexing. Let's get to 100% in record time. Your efforts will be appreciated around the globe for years to come. Your children, grand-children, and great-grandchildren will thank you as well!  ;-)


Families are Forever! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment