Thursday, February 18, 2016

From Mom’s Diary… 1942 - July 4th family gathering


From Mom’s Diary… 1942 - July 4th family gathering
 
On July 1, 1942, I celebrated my 3rd birthday. Mom and Dad had bought a farm a mile east of the county line between Carroll and Greene County, north east of Coon Rapids, Iowa, a couple of miles north of where they had been living. The spring planting was done, and cultivating was underway…
 
Mom is left of the post, right behind me.
My Grandma Kinnick - far right.


I’ve always been fascinated by this photo, of the Sorenson side of the family. Now, I’ve come across the daily diary entry that goes with it. Neat.

Saturday, July 4:

Up at 7:30. Washed & ironed some clothes. Made spud salad. Baked beans. Left at 12:30. Louise’s for picnic. Delma’s, Leos. Folks there too. Norma H. with them. Took pictures. Played croquet. Rode ponies.  Home at 6:00. Chored. All here to supper. Rasmuses came afterwards. Went to Dance. Claire, Ferne, Pete & me. Leo Daeges. Home at 1:30. Leo, Ida here all nite. Billy slept on floor. Us on studio couch.

My comments:

Claire and Ferne were nieces of my Grandma Kinnick… first cousins to Mom. Mom always considered them the most musically talented of the whole musical family. They lived in Sioux City area, then moved to California… where the girls and their husbands actually performed semi-professionally all their lives.

I always wondered why Mom had her hair pinned up. Now I know… she was getting ready to go the dance, in the evening… that was her first priority. Now that I know it was a holiday is also useful information. The porch is at Rasmus Nielsen’s (Louise’s husband, she was Grandma Kinnick’s sister, of course). Their farm was along the Raccoon River, south of Bayard, What fun!! ;-)



Families are Forever! ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Pleasurable thank you for your time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martin. I appreciate your visit and comment! ;-)

      Delete