Saturday, October 10, 2015

My first years… from Eileen's Diary - Highlights of March (2nd part), 1941


My first years…  from Eileen's Diary
Highlights of March (2nd part), 1941

These are highlights from the diary of my mother, twenty-one year old Eileen KINNICK SMITH, 75 Years Ago. She kept a diary from 1932 as a freshman in high school until she left us, too early, in 1999.

[Rather than posting each mundane entry, I've chosen items of interest to me, as I knew my family (or didn't). Also, significant events Mom noted, as seen by me, looking back. Comments at the end.]

[My original highchair - still have it!]


Month of March (2nd part) highlights:

Mon. Mar. 17 - [Date with swirly circle - their anniversary!] - …Took Billy to folks. Went to Bayard. Good time. Hal Stewart played song  for us. 3 years today.
Tues. Mar. 18 - …French toast for breakfast. In town after Billy. Got mattress. Home to dinner. Billy went to sleep in his chair. Put him to bed. Pete cut pigs. Did up work. Waxed closet floor and put curtains up. Straightened up bedroom. Read cont’d story in Journal. Chores.
Mon. Mar. 24 - …Went to Mrs. Palmers to Bundles for Britain Committee. …
Wed. Mar. 26 - Did up work. Went in town. Saw Rita. Got Billy’s hair cut. Up to Mom’s for dinner. … Rita came about 2:00. Visited quite awhile. They’re moving to Minneapolis. …
Fri. Mar. 28 - Did up usual work. Pete helped me and we canned 12 qts. corned beef. Billy & I outdoors all afternoon & evening. I raked a little bit. Corned beef didn’t come off until 8:30. Went to bed right afterwards.
Sat. Mar. 29 - Did up usual work. Pete and Billy over to Orrin’s after hoof trimmer. LVene came to have hair set. Del delivered seed corn. Cleaned the house. Got dinner. Max came to have her hair set. Got ready to go to Ev. Shulze shower. Stopped at Julia’s & fixed hers & Margaret’s hair. To shower. Big crowd. Came around & got Billy. In town. Shopped. Got new rug. Cleaned living room at nite. Put rug down.
Mon. Mar. 31 - Nice day but I didn’t wash. Bussy pretty sick with hives. Put on 6 qts corned beef. Painted a little bit upstairs. Ate dinner & Billy & I went to Pruitt’s to practice music for Achievement Day. Pete took corned beef off. Mom called & said Buss was pretty sick. Had to give him Hypo. Down to Norma’s after setting eggs but didn’t get any. Home, did chores, ate, did dishes, went to bed early.

My comments:
To dance for their anniversary… no surprise there!! ;-)
Still working on house… every couple of days…
Note: Bundles for Britain Committee - USA not in the war yet!
Rita and Grant Ballard moved to Minneapolis!
Fixed LOTS of corned beef… Dad helped make it! ;-)
Impressed by her continued increase in different activities she got involved in, in the community!


Families are Forever!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment