Saturday, September 19, 2015

My first years… from Eileen's Diary - Highlights of December (2nd part), 1940


My first years…  
from Eileen's Diary
Highlights of December (2nd part), 1940


These are highlights from the diary of my mother, twenty-one year old Eileen KINNICK SMITH, 75 Years Ago. She kept a diary from 1932 as a freshman in high school until she left us, too early, in 1999.

[Rather than posting each mundane entry, I've chosen items of interest to me, as I knew my family (or didn't). Also, significant events Mom noted, as seen by me, looking back. Comments at the end.]


[This is six months later, but I suspect this is the table and chairs I got for Christmas]


Month of December (2nd part) highlights:

Sat. Dec. 21 - Cleaned kitchen a little and went to Carroll at 11:30. Got a new song, saw Dr. Walter. Billy had empitigo. He surely fixed him up. Home at 4:30.
Sun. Dec. 22 - Went to Sunday School. To see David afterwards, over home and Irene told us Bob Garst had given us $35.00 for Christmas to get whatever we wanted. Home and had roast pork dinner. Stayed home all afternoon. Mom and Dad came out a minute. Scrubbed and lacquered dinning room floor at nite, went to bed.
Mon. Dec. 23 - … Chored early & Irene went with us to Carrroll. Got chair and ottoman and what not at Matt’s for $35.14. Got Billy table and chairs. Ate supper at Johnston’s. Bro’t Irene to town. Pete and I to Rees’ to sack candy but they were all through. Boys played cards awhile and they served ice cream. Got Billy and came home.
Tues. Dec. 24 - Washed and set my hair. Levee came to have her hair fixed. Matt’s brought the chair set, what not, and Billy’s little table and chairs. Did he like them. Pete and Toots went in town. Toots and LVene went home at 12:30. Ate, Margaret came and had her hair fixed. Did dishes, Billy took a nap and then he and I went in town. Took cream in and got clothes from cleaner. Had Billy’s hair cut. Home and cleaned up and went to church program. Got perfume, scrap book, salt & peppers. Rode in town to see lies.
Wed. Dec. 25 - Pete and Billy gave me an end table. Was I ever surprised & is it every nice. I gave Pete a zipper bill fold. Finished wrapping up presents and cleaned the house. We all took baths & went to Smith’s to dinner. Had turkey & ham etc. Betty gave me P.Js. Verle gave Pete a shirt & tie. Billy got a climbing monkey, ten pins, $2, a drum, a tractor, hankies. Home at 5:00. Chores, went in to folks. Leo’s & Delbert’s there. Had goose. Apron & pounder from Lillian. Pillow cases from Ida, hanky from Louises. Billy got a tea set, blocks, book of Jesus & rubber bear, wagon (red). Mom gave Pete and me socks. To Phitipino dance at Carroll. Not many from Coon. Home late.
Tues. Dec. 31 - … and went to Gertrude’s. Lee & Gleason & Billy Brideson, Ila Jean & we kids were there. Had noisemakers, hats, balloons, etc. Had potato salad, chicken sandwiches, date pudding, olives, pickles, coffee, celery etc. Sang, played cards. Billy went to bed & slept all the time. Drove over in the dark in the fog Lights burned out at Otis Teters. Home at 2:30. Gary in hospital with pneumonia.

My comments:

Lots of fun details, hated to leave any of it out. Really get a feel for the times… At least I do!
The food details, the gifts, all very familiar from years later… most interesting.
Typically, I slept through New Years Eve celebration… that seems about right!! Party animal, for sure! ;-)


Families are Forever!  ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Yes...totally agree about details! Grandma (Lillian) was exactly like that and was always detailed in writing about what was served for meals, how much gasoline cost at the time(s), time of things, etc etc. Fun to read!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving a comment. And they learned it from their elders, as well, for sure! Different times; attention to different things. And we are the beneficiaries! ;-)

      Delete