Saturday, August 29, 2015

My first years… from Eileen's Diary - Highlights of November, 1940


My first years…  
from Eileen's Diary
Highlights of November (1st half), 1940



These are highlights from the diary of my mother, twenty-one year old Eileen KINNICK SMITH, 75 Years Ago. She kept a diary from 1932 as a freshman in high school until she left us, too early, in 1999.

[Rather than posting each mundane entry, I've chosen items of interest to me, as I knew my family (or didn't). Also, significant events Mom noted, as seen by me, looking back. Comments at the end.]



Will and Emma (Kinnick) Carper, Buda, Illinois, c. 1894
Assume this is a photo at time of their wedding


Month of November highlights:

Sun. Nov. 3 - Billy & I went to Sunday School.
Mon. Nov. 4 - Had Billy hair cut. Cut out & started sewing my brown dress when I got home. Betty, Toots and Pete went in to Adult School at nite. Billy & I stayed home.
Tues. Nov. 5 - Really cold. Left Billy up home with Betty & I went to Home Project Meeting at Louella Schultz. Ruth Bolger & I fixed cinnaman (sic) apple salad. I played piano. Had a nice time. Voted for first time for Wilkie but Roosevelt won.
Wed. Nov. 6 - Lowden & Smith started working on foundation of the barn.
Fri. Nov. 8 - Got ready for shower. Went with Lillian in her new Chevy to Wichita to shower for Mildred Betts Herron.
Sat. Nov. 9 - Rained all day. Mom called & said Uncle Will had just come so we did up the work & went in there for dinner. He looked just the same as ever. Went down town in pm. & did shopping. Dad went to Iowa-Nebraska game with Charley Thomas.
Sun. Nov. 10 - Still a little rainy. Made frosting for the cake and fired the chicken. Did dishes, sep, got ready to go to Gertrude’s to dinner. Edna’s, Lillian’s, Gertrude’s, Uncle Will and the folks & us were there.
Mon. Nov. 11 - Really cold & windy & snowy. Couldn’t keep the house warm for the wind. Pete stayed in all afternoon. Put Billy to bed in kitchen. …fixed our bed in dining room & slept out here.
Thurs. Nov. 14 - Indian Jim Smith came in to warm his hands. They’re working on the barn.
Fri. Nov. 15 - Were eating breakfast when Toots and Betty came. Did dishes, sep. We peeled spuds here & then went up there for beefsteak dinner. Ate & then boys went down on the 80 after the tractor. Took Billy’s snow suit in to the cleaners.


My comments:

“Uncle Will” was an annual visitor, I do believe. He was about 73, lived in Buda, Illinois. His wife, Lon’s sister, Emma, had died in 1935. He lived until 1955, died at 88. He was Mom’s Great-Uncle, of course.
I’m sure Mom voted straight Republican, regardless of who was running…  ;-) At least she knew!
Lillian had a ‘new Chevy.’ That would be important to Mom, of course! ;-)
Game was in Lincoln, Memorial Stadium - I’ve been there, too - Nebraska, ranked #12 on AP, won the game, 14-6. Iowa had a 4-4 season after being so good (6-1-1) in 1939 with Nile Kinnick,
[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940_Iowa_Hawkeyes_football_team]
I shivered hearing how cold and windy it was… ;-)
Anyone remember “Indian Jim Smith” ???


Families are Forever!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment