Saturday, August 15, 2015

My first years… from Eileen's Diary - Highlights of September, 1940


My first years…  
from Eileen's Diary
Highlights of September, 1940 
 
 These are highlights from the diary of my mother, twenty-one year old Eileen KINNICK SMITH, 75 Years Ago. She kept a diary from 1932 as a freshman in high school until she left us, too early, in 1999.
 
A Game of Rummy


[Rather than posting each mundane entry, I've chosen items of interest to me, as I knew my family (or didn't). Also, significant events Mom noted, as seen by me, looking back. Comments at the end.]

Month of September highlights:

Sun. Sept. 1 - Fried 2 chickens, made potato salad, took 2 pies to Louises’ for dinner. Folks went too. Had a good dinner. Home at 4:00. Sent a sow & a cow to Omaha. Chores. Jean & Bob came & we played Rummey til 10:00. Ate apple pie. To bed at 10:00.
Mon. Sept. 2 - Up & washed. Cleaned a chicken, made a pie. Bob, Jean, Bobby here for dinner. Toots came in pm & the boys played cards. I folded my clothes. Kids left at 4:30. Chores & ate. June & Ralph came & stayed until 9:30. Read & went to bed.
Thurs. Sept. 5 - Betty & Toots came down. Betty picked pickles, Pete & Toots went in town. I cleaned a chicken, made fresh rolls. They stayed for dinner. Ate late, they stayed until 4:00.
Sat. Sept. 7 - L’Vene, Marg., Pat, Will came to have hair set. Washed & set my hair. Cleaned up the house. Lyle hurt in fall from Hay Stacker. Fractured his skull. Chored, got ready to go to town. Car in front of Barber’s. Got groceries & went up home. Lyle no better at nite, still unconscious.
Sun. Sept. 8 - [Birthday note: LVene] …went to LVenes for chicken dinner. Irene. Toots. Betty. LVene. Verle. there. Played ball in pm. …Lyle to hospital, Carroll.
 - - Only two sentences between Sept 10 and Sept 30 - - rest blank

My comments:
Labor Day weekend made me tired just reading it….
Interesting mix of activities…
Lyle Kinnick lived until 2007, so survived… father of Ray Kinnick - scary stuff!!



Families are Forever!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment