Saturday, November 9, 2013

The Book of Me, Written By You - Prompt 11: Military





The Book of Me, Written By You
Prompt 11: Military
 
 

[I am third from right; leaders of RBS Express radar train]


"The Book of Me, Written By You" is a GeneaBloggers project created by Julie Goucher of the Anglers Rest blog. The concept: a series of blogging and writing prompts that help family historians capture their own memories and write about themselves.


Prompt 11: Military
This week’s prompt is Military
    •    Did you join the military?
    ◦    Were you encouraged or discouraged?



I participated in the Air Force ROTC (Reserve Officer Training Corps) at Iowa State University, as an integral part of my college/university education. It was an intentional choice. My parents weren't particularly thrilled about the choice, but did not discourage it. My Dad always said: "If you choose to do something, do it well." I did that. I was among the top small handful of leaders throughout my ROTC experience.


My three-year active duty Air Force experience began in July 1961.
See some of it here: http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/search/label/Air%20Force

    •    Did a family member?

My uncle (mother's brother) served in Army Intelligence, part of Occupation Forces in Japan, immediately following World War II - see here and here, for example.
Also, brother-in-law went through same Air Force ROTC program I did, four years ahead of me.

    ◦    Regular or for a particular incident
I served three years of regular service during time of Bay of Pigs and Cuban Missile Crisis - got out just before Viet Nam Gulf of Tonkin Resolutions passed Congress.

[RBS Express train, on location in rural Nevada]


    •    Did you or your family serve overseas in the line of Service either during a war or a posting

I served in remote locations in the USA only.

    •    Any thoughts, photographs, memories relevant
See links above for a few examples. Also, this post, just earlier this week. The following is the radar "workroom" from the RBS Experess  - our local detachment was similar - in a semi-trailer, rather than a railroad car.


[Airmen at work in radar "workroom" on the RBS Express]



Families are Forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment