Wednesday, September 23, 2020

WikiTree - Where genealogist collaborate

 

WikiTree - Where genealogist collaborate


While I’ve not been doing much in the way of original genealogy or family history research in recent months, I have not been inactive. I have continued to actively participate as a Volunteer/Contributor in the WikiTree Project. In fact, I’ve earned the badges for over 100 contributions, Club 100, in each of the months April, May, June, July and August in 2020 so far.


I like collaboration. That is why I like WikiTree, and have participated since 2012, when it was still relatively small. It says I have made a total of 4614 contributions so far. I am, of course, a Signatory to the Honor Code. The goal is “Together we’re growing an accurate singe family tree using DNA and traditional genealogical sources.” To date, the tree includes 24,624,909 profiles edited by 739,779 genealogists from around the world.

My favorite part of volunteering at WikiTree as a contributor is that I can add my researched family information without great concern for the peculiarities of the format. It is very well formatted and easy to use. I enter my information to the best of my efforts, others enjoy updating the entries and assuring that source citations, etc. are properly formatted. This way, I can concentrate on my contributions. Basic minimum requirements are name, birth year, death year and sources. Normally, of course, I contribute much more information. Procedures are in place to prevent duplicates or recognize and merger them where they exist. One profile for each person is the intent and goal.

There are multiple ways to contribute, of course. Data Doctors is one of my favorites. They have lists of things that need worked on. You can go in and pick a project and work on it. There is always something interesting to be done. It never ends. The more who participate, the better the results.

Visit WikiTree.com, today. See for yourself.

Families are Forever!! ;-) 


2 comments: