Saturday, October 3, 2015

My first years… from Eileen's Diary - Highlights of March (1st part), 1941



My first years…
from Eileen's Diary
Highlights of March (1st part), 1941
 
 
These are highlights from the diary of my mother, twenty-one year old Eileen KINNICK SMITH, 75 Years Ago. She kept a diary from 1932 as a freshman in high school until she left us, too early, in 1999.

[Rather than posting each mundane entry, I've chosen items of interest to me, as I knew my family (or didn't). Also, significant events Mom noted, as seen by me, looking back. Comments at the end.]  
 
 

This image is from a year later, but I couldn't pass it up when they mentioned chickens....  ;-)


Month of March (1st part) highlights:

Sat. Mar. 1 - … Buss & Mom came out. Papered the pantry. Boys brought the chickens over. Dad came out at nite. Leo, Ida, Karen came. Played Cherokee Rummey till 11:00. Dad slept. Kids danced, played cards, etc.
Sun. Mar. 2 -  …Leo, Ida, folks came for dinner. Scrubbed, waxed kitchen floor. Cleaned porch. Moved separator to wash house. …
Tues. Mar. 4 - Quite cold. Billy & I went into Mom’s to wash. Really had a big washing. Sang at Tom Herron’s funeral. Lillian, Jack R., Dale T. & I. Ironed when I got back. …
Sat. Mar. 8 - …I made 2 cherry pies. …Pete & I went in town. Got paint from Keister & picked out paper at Bowman’s. Hangers are coming out Monday.
Sun. Mar. 9 - … Buss & Mom here all day. Dad at bank. Painted pantry w.work & green in kitchen. …
Mon. Mar. 10 - Paper Hangers came at 9:00. Papered kitchen & then I got dinner for them. They went over to Eunice’s after dinner & papered a room and then came back here & papered the dining room. I washed my hair, Pete chored early. Took Billy in to folks & we went to Max & Orrin’s for duck dinner. LVene, Verle, Toots there too. Home at 11:30.
Tues. Mar. 11 - Got up in good time. Paper Hangers came at 11:00. They had papered Norma’s kitchen. Here for dinner. Finished dining room, bedroom, hall. I painted pantry woodwork & started the kitchen. …
Wed. Mar. 12 - Paper Hangers came at 8:00. Papered upstairs bedroom & closet. Here for dinner. Pete & I picked up the paper & burned it. He went down to help Don with his hog house. I swept all rooms, finished painting the kitchen, gave closet 1 coat. …
Thurs. Mar. 13 - …Scrubbed dining room, hall, living room & waxed dining room. … Really tired.
Fri. Mar. 14 - Went in to Mom’s. Ironed 7 pairs of curtains. Zumwalt pressed 3 pairs. Left Billy at folks. Home & we cleaned up & met the gang in town. Surprised Arnold & Julia on their Anniversary. Arnold was sick in bed. Helen R., Liz, Virginia, Ed, Elmer, Iva D., Erna, Orel, Marg., Don, Norma, Ramons, Lloyd, Edith T., Helen B., Edith, Harold. Ice Cream., Cake, Sandwiches, Coffee. Home at 1:30.
Sat. Mar. 15 - Kinda tired. Went in town after Billy while Pete finished chores. Mom & Bussy came home with me. Straightened up dining room & kitchen. Put up curtains. Surely makes a difference. Dad came out for supper. He’s so glad Income Tax is over. They left early & we went to bed.

My comments:
We get a pretty fair view of how big the new house was… 2 floors, etc. Wash house. Loved the stories of the “Paper Hangers” and how she had them for dinner a few times… they were working all over the neighborhood. Mom and Dad got to clean up after them. My, how times have changed, in some ways. Painting the woodwork… over and over. And, fixing meals while all the work is being done. Most interesting.
Mom sang in a mixed quartet for funeral… first time I’ve noticed that activity!! ;-)
Also noticed that Billy got left over night with Grandpa and Grandma, in town, several times. What fun! ;-) Love how she lists all the people involved in visits. P.S. I’ll bet Arnold was surprised… in his sick bed… but they had the party, anyway!! ;-)


Families are Forever!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment