Saturday, July 18, 2015

My first years… from Eileen's Diary - Highlights of June, 1940



My first years…
from Eileen's Diary
Highlights of June, 1940


These are highlights from the diary of my mother, twenty-one year old Eileen KINNICK SMITH, 75 Years Ago. She kept a diary from 1932 as a freshman in high school until she left us, too early, in 1999.






[Rather than posting each mundane entry, I've chosen items of interest to me, as I knew my family (or didn't). Also, significant events Mom noted, as seen by me, looking back. Comments at the end.]

Month of June highlights:

Sun. Jun 2 - Made a meatloaf. Pete went in after ice & then froze a gallon of ice cream. Took a cake too to Williams Picnic at Lillian’s. Nearly 60 were there. Played piano awhile & then we played volley ball over the fence. Had a keen time.
Mon. Jun 3 - Billy up. Left him at LVene’s & I went to Bible School. I taught the beginners. Got Margaret B. to teach them from now on. … Lizzie Moylan died this morning at 9:30. Surely feel bad about it. Pete finished planting beans over on 80.
Blank until 12th… Down to Myrtle Daileys to committee meeting.
Thurs. Jun 13 - Entertained at Julia’s for club. Made 2 white cakes. Had ice cream. About 60 there. Quite tired at night.
Blank until 18th… Mom & Bussy here. Canned 10 pints of peas. Quite a job.
Wed. Jun 26 - [Birthday note: Mom] Mom & Bussy came out. Made ice cream at night to celebrate Mom’s birthday.
Sun. Jun 30 - Pete & Irene picked cherries. Had leg of mutton for dinner. Orel, Margaret, LVene, Verle, Arnold, Julia, Patty, Wilson came in pm. We shipped 2 sows & up home they sold a bull. Home at 6:00. Clored and took Billy to show with us “Thomas Edison the Boy.” He slept right through it.


My comments:

Always enjoyed the Williams-Kinnick family reunion picnics… lots of cousins we rarely saw!
The month’s entries all seemed hurried, and a bit frazzled. She must have been very busy, and very hot… working hard!
Mrs. Moylan died.
Mom was really active in a lot of clubs at this time…
Interesting to me to see which family and friends groups got together at which time! ;-)
My first movie!! ;-)


Families are Forever!  ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment