Saturday, June 20, 2015

My first years… from Eileen's Diary - Highlights of February, 1940



My first years…  
from Eileen's Diary
Highlights of February, 1940


These are highlights from the diary of my mother, twenty-one year old Eileen KINNICK SMITH, 75 Years Ago. She kept a diary from 1932 as a freshman in high school until she left us, too early, in 1999.

[Rather than posting each mundane entry, I've chosen items of interest to me, as I knew my family (or didn't). Also, significant events Mom noted, as seen by me, looking back. Comments at the end.]

Billy in snowsuit, Eileen, Pooch


Month of February highlights:

Sat. Feb 3 - Pete finished the play pen. …  Pete played piano…
Sun. Feb 4 - Listened to radio, wrote in books, & Pete played the piano.
Mon. Feb 5 - Pete cleaned out the chicken house. Chores, ate supper, read, Pete played piano & we went to bed.
Tues. Feb 6 - Got ready to go to Farm Bureau meeting at Mrs. Turners in town. LVene took Billy up to Smith’s. They kept him. Truman’s home is real nice.
Wed. Feb 8 - Snowing and blowing.
Mon, Feb 12 - Polly & Merle left for Calif.
Tues. Feb 13 - Betty showed me how to crochet.
Thurs. Feb 15 - Pete went up and helped Delbert & Lilian move.
Friday Feb 16 - Pete worked on sandpapering play pen, I worked on books.
Sat. Feb 17 - Snowing. … took Billy in to Mom’s & Pete & I went to Carroll. I practiced in F.B. Women’s Chorus.
Thurs. Feb 22 - I made a choc. cake. Took it to pot luck S.S. party at Glenn & Ruth’s. Played cards & games & sang. Home late. Hazel Bolger kept Billy.
Sun. Feb 25 - Folks came for supper & then they stayed with Billy while we went to Vic & Ger. farewell party. Levee, Verle, Julia, Arnold, Edith, Betty, Irene, Toots, Glenn, Ruth, Ruth, Harold, Brannan’s, Don, Norma, Berle, Gurtha, Beulah, Guerney.
Mon. Feb 26 - Pete worked on nursery chair.




My comments:
Dad seemed to tire of playing the piano, after a few days.
I had not realized that Polly & Merle left for California this early in 1940. Nice to see the record.
Delbert & Lillian Ford moved. Vic & Gertrude Ford “farewell party.” ??
Still working on play pen. “Nursery chair” I assume is the one I still have!! All wood. Neat!
Thurs Feb 22 - First time Hazel Bolger kept Billy, that I’m aware - many times, over those early years. Assume she probably had Bob, Carolyn and Nancy, as well!! ;-)



Families are Forever!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment