Saturday, October 5, 2013

The Book of Me, Written By You - Prompt 6: Journals and Diaries


The Book of Me, Written By You
Prompt 6: Journals and Diaries
 
"The Book of Me, Written By You" is a GeneaBloggers project created by Julie Goucher of the Anglers Rest blog. The concept: a series of blogging and writing prompts that help family historians capture their own memories and write about themselves.
 

Prompt 6: Journals and Diaries
 
Do you keep a journal or diary? No… so those next prompt questions are irrelevant.

I have tried a few times, but it just is not something that is in my "bag of tricks," so to speak. The longest stretch was less than 18 months, back in the early 60s - very short entries, in a '5-year' diary...

I write a lot, but not in journal or diary format. My several blogs have been the closest I come, and, in recent years, many of these have information that is common to them.


Have you inherited any? Yes, my brothers and I have our mother's diaries, from 1932 to 1999 - her entire adult life. They are the diaries of an Iowa farm housewife who grew up in a nearby small town. She never lived outside a 10-mile radius, so they have some interest, is what they are. She started as a high school freshman. I have transcribed 1936 and it is on-line. Some of 1937-38 are online, as I've looked at "75 years ago." I will continue to read and interpret them, as time goes by. Many of you have enjoyed reading these snippets.


Do you intend to pass along your journals or destroy them? I generally do not destroy any family information.


Pictures - Do you have a favorite? Read this blog…  ;-)

My additional comments:
Really not a lot to contribute here. This blog is my primary "write about myself" venue. I've written Sharing Memories on Sunday posts that tell of my early years. My Retirement blog is chronicling my later years. My children, and grandchildren, read them all, and have access to them all. I guess that is the important part.


Families are Forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment