Saturday, July 25, 2015

My first years… from Eileen's Diary - Highlights of July, 1940


My first years…  
from Eileen's Diary
Highlights of July, 1940


These are highlights from the diary of my mother, twenty-one year old Eileen KINNICK SMITH, 75 Years Ago. She kept a diary from 1932 as a freshman in high school until she left us, too early, in 1999.



[Rather than posting each mundane entry, I've chosen items of interest to me, as I knew my family (or didn't). Also, significant events Mom noted, as seen by me, looking back. Comments at the end.]

Month of July highlights:

Mon. Jul 1 - [Birthday note: Billy]
Billy is one year old today. I canned 9 quarts of cherries. Edith & Erna came over in p.m. & bro’t him material for 2 suits. Up to Lillian’s after Mom & Bussy. They had picked cherries. Had a pint of ice cream to celebrate Billy’s birthday. Home at 10:00.
Tues. Jul 2 - Put Billy money in bank $14.23 now. Had his hair cut at Rex’s. He didn’t cry at all. Just got along fine.
Wed. Jul 3 - Lost 2 sheep last night by dogs.
Thur. Jul 4 - Fixed fried chicken. Mom & Bussy went to Spring Lake with us for picnic. I skated awhile, watched them dance. Home & chores. Mom kept Billy & we went back again to dance. So hot & crowded & the floor was terrible. Didn’t stay very long. Had good fireworks.
Tues. Jul 9 - Wet in morning. Pete picked 2 pails of beans. I looked them over. Mom canned them. I drove tractor on binder until 6:00.
Blank pages, Jul 11 - 18. Two words on 19: Started threshing.
Sun. Jul 21 - Pete, Billy & I went on picnic at Squirrel Hollow… …went to “Grapes of Wrath.” A dreary show but some wonderful acting.
Jul 22-24 blank
Rest of month about feeding threshers at different farms. Collective activities…


My comments:

My first birthday important, but just one of many activities.
Mom drove tractor all day!! ;-)
Picnic at Squirrel Hollow… interesting bit of news.
The Blank Pages in the diary would indicate she was very, very busy with work, in the heat! ;-)
Her reaction to “Grapes of Wrath” movie were most interesting, to me. I’d have probably felt about the same, actually.


Families are Forever!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment